For the safety of humans and gorillas, always follow these strict but simple precautions set by several conservation agencies to promote sustainable gorilla tourism.
- Choose a gorilla tracking operator that is respectful and protective of the gorillas and their needs.
- Gorillas may approach humans for many reasons during the tracking; most are not threatening reasons. During an uncomfortably close encounter, stay calm, don’t move quickly, never run and listen to the wildlife viewing guide.
- Never feed or approach a gorilla – even to get that perfect photo. Gorillas can attack without warning.
- Do not use flash photography when taking pictures of gorillas.
- To avoid human food conditioning of gorillas, food or beverages other than water should not be consumed near habitats that are frequented by gorillas.